Introduction

Welcome to my blog on a "Healthy Hair Journey" , keeping ya'll updated on my progress of my hair using natural products and oils to care for my hair. So follow me and let's journey together to having healthy hair!



April 21, 2013

Lye or No-Lye Relaxers?

Ok, so this is a question I had in my mind for awhile which required me to do my own research about Lye and No-Lye relaxers. Now I always thought that Lye relaxers were more damaging than No-Lye relaxers BUT this is not true. Lye-relaxers can be damaging to the scalp but not the hair but No-Lye relaxers can be damaging to the hair but not on the scalp. Did you know that? Well let me tell you some more facts about both products.


Lye Relaxer Facts                     
Active Ingredient: Sodium Hydroxide    
Higher PH (12-14)                           
Reacts more quickly                          
May experience Scalp Irritation            
Doesn't damage hair strand                
Doesn't straighten hair completely       

No-Lye Relaxer Facts
Active Ingredient: Calcium or Guanidine Hydroxide
Lower PH (9-11)
Dryer hair due to calcium buildup
Usually preferable by someone w/Scalp Sensitivity
Harsher on the hair strand causing dryness/dullness
Produce straighter results


Check out Sharmaine369 Video (It's Very Helpful)

.
Based on these facts and other information I read about both Lye and No-Lye Relaxers seems to me that a Lye relaxer would be good for Texlaxing the hair than a No-Lye relaxer. But a No-Lye relaxer would be more better if you want a straight relaxed look and may be preferable to those who have "scalp sensitivity". If you use a Lye relaxer just make sure you base your scalp very thoroughly with a relaxer base before relaxing or if  you decide to use a No-Lye relaxer make sure after you relax to cover the hair with conditioner or oil prior to relaxing. Either one you use remember they are both chemicals under processed or not they still breakdown the hair's natural bond and you have to take precaution on using these products. Recommended to have a professional do it for safer and better results. Lye or No-Lye? It's your choice :)

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...